Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017 Year in Review and 2018 New Year's Resolution


Another year has come and gone.

At the last count, I have reviewed a total of 52 books for the year to date. This works out to be an average of 4 books per month; 1 book per week.

Year 2017 @ 52 (■ YOY)
Year 2016 @ 52 (-22 YOY)
Year 2015 @ 74 (-23 YOY)
Year 2014 @ 97



To say that I am glad to have managed to read and review the same number of books as last year will have been the understatement of the year. Truth is, after a tentative count somewhere in mid-December, I have almost resigned myself to the fact that I am indeed reading less and less books with each passing year. So, you can imagine how on top of the world I feel when I make it just in time to complete my 52nd book as year draws to a close.

Regardless of the above, I am still sad to say that I have written six "Did Not Finish" reviews this year, a threefold increase compared to the year before. Then again, though higher, six is still considered to be on the low end of the scale for the reason that I usually do not spend more time than necessary writing DNF reviews. To this end, I shall endeavour to continue with minimizing such write-ups.

In any case, what's done is done. The past - books that have been completely or partially read - is what it is. There is no changing it. I may not have managed to read all the books on my reading list nor reviewed all the books I have chosen to read. But in my immediate past, I know pretty much why I choose to read a certain book or genre, and what I will have done, or not done differently. Ultimately, what matters most, I feel, is to enjoy the reading process, engage myself in the story and be transported out of my world into another.

As a matter of course, my 2018 New Year's resolution is to read books, enjoy the stories and write - preferably and hopefully, short - reviews.

Finally, to all booklovers out there, may the Year 2018 bring along good books, better reads and best of all, discoveries of all things bookish.

Happy New Year
&
Happy Reading


No comments:

Post a Comment