Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Review: Magic Binds (Kate Daniels #9) by Ilona Andrews


5 stars for Magic Binds (Kate Daniels book 9) by Ilona Andrews.

5 HUGE stars!

Kate Daniels is a series that continues to surprise me. Every single time.

Nine books running and the worldbuilding, the art of creating an alternate universe where the rules of present-day Earth life do not apply, is still astoundingly strong. The connection between Kate and the rest of the characters maintains that carefully threaded fine line but yet the past, present and future, all meld into one and everything just falls into place beautifully.

The swordplay and display of magic are as captivating as I remember them to be, if not better. There is never a dull moment in the fight scenes. Each strike, each parry draws me into Kate's world and subtly preps me for the eventual showdown. I am so utterly absorbed in Kate's magic that pulling myself out from that alternate world back into the light of reality delivers a sharp jolt with ensuing emptiness.

And then, there is the Nostalgia Factor. The authors are so effective in evoking the past Magic memories that I feel like rereading the entire series from scratch. Yes, that will be wonderful. I will like to do that some day. One day.

It seems that everything in Magic Binds is.. done to perfection. But wait.. Not quite there.. Because I notice an increasing use of profanity. Is it just me or has it always been so, but I honestly do not recall much use of bad language in any of the earlier books. I understand the need to stockpile and release anger aplenty in this book but surely the more than generous use of swear words is unwarranted since readers can feel infinitely the rise and fall of the tempest as it rages. Yes, I cringe every time the four-letter words pop up and try my best to gloss over them. I hope, with all my heart, that this is just a passing phrase in Kate's world and not the beginning of strong language in the Kate Daniels series to come.

Regardless of my last comment, I am in no bind to drop my rating for Magic Binds. 5 stars it is. 5 HUGE stars.

I love this series so. What am I to do when it comes to a permanent close one day?


Publisher: Ace Books
Publication date: 4 May 2017

@}--->>--->>-----

Mercenary Kate Daniels knows all too well that magic in post-Shift Atlanta is a dangerous business. But nothing she’s faced could have prepared her for this...

Kate and the former Beast Lord Curran Lennart are finally making their relationship official. But there are some steep obstacles standing in the way of their walk to the altar...

Kate’s father, Roland, has kidnapped the demigod Saiman and is slowly bleeding him dry in his never-ending bid for power. A Witch Oracle has predicted that if Kate marries the man she loves, Atlanta will burn and she will lose him forever. And the only person Kate can ask for help is long dead.

The odds are impossible. The future is grim. But Kate Daniels has never been one to play by the rules...

*Blurb from author's website*

Add to:


Links to purchase:



No comments:

Post a Comment