Saturday, June 25, 2016

Review: Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt


5 stars for Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt.

Our time on Earth is anything but finite. But what if...

Tuck Everlasting, a timeless story, will always hold a special place in my heart. I do not think I will ever get tired of rereading it. Cross my heart and hope to die.

I first read this book at the tender age of fourteen, at a time when I feel as if I have all the time in the world and there is hope yet to be. Even then, the story has made a deep and impressionable impact on my young mind and I remember with vivid clarity the sense of loneliness and sadness that descends upon my whole being when I finally finish reading this enchanting novel.

Years pass and still, the story remains in the back of my mind. Rereading the novel now brings back an achingly familiar yet strangely distant feel. Familiar because fundamentally, I experience the same sense of loss and sadness as I did years ago when I finish reading the book. The distant feel, I guess, stems from the fact that though it is the same story, I see things in a different light now.

I am glad that I have read Tuck Everlasting when I am younger, at an age of wonder when I can easily connect to the characters which enable me to really appreciate the content. Because of that, I believe that the story will live on in my heart for a long long time - and perhaps forever - as it is truly a novel that is hard to be forgotten. Never mind that the book may be out of sight because it will not be out of mind.

Tuck Everlasting has fascinated me when I read it the first time and I trust that it will continue to intrigue me as and when I read it again.


Publisher: Square Fish
Publication date: 10 Sep 2009

*** Favourite quote ***

Nothing ever seems interesting when it belongs to you - only when it doesn't.

~ Tuck Everlasting
Natalie Babbitt

@}--->>--->>-----

Doomed to - or blessed with - eternal life after drinking from a magic spring, the Tuck family wanders about trying to live as inconspicuously and comfortably as they can.

When ten-year-old Winnie Foster stumbles on their secret, the Tucks take her home and explain why living forever at one age is less a blessing that it might seem.

Complications arise when Winnie is followed by a stranger who wants to market the spring water for a fortune.

*Blurb from Goodreads*

Add to:


Links to purchase:



No comments:

Post a Comment