Monday, April 18, 2016

Review: My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult


1 star for My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Perhaps the story is overrated. Perhaps my expectation is too high. Perhaps I read the book at a wrong time. Perhaps there are too many perhaps. Bottom line is, I do not enjoy reading My Sister’s Keeper and I am probably one in a handful of oddballs who feel this way.

This book comes highly recommended by not just one friend but more. I trust their recommendations and I really want to like this story but sadly, there are more things to dislike than like in this book.

While I am usually fine with different characters weaving in and out telling their side of a story, I do not appreciate it when that is crafted on top of a story unfolding amidst overabundance of flashbacks that spin the story around and back. It definitely makes reading tiresome and confusing.

The science of tomorrow to save the children of today. Yes, the topic in question is excellent and has untapped potential to make a phenomenal story. Unfortunately, I am frustrated and bored to tears by loathsome characters, particularly that of a self-serving individual who does not see beyond what she chooses to see, whose world practically revolves around one daughter and who is more than willing to move Heaven and Earth at the expense of all others.

And then, don't get me started on the rest of the fluffy characters acting as fillers. These padding do nothing to beef up the story except adding oil to fire to create an even bigger hole in the already flawed characters and speed up the story's descent in a downward spiral journey. But these are not all. The final death blow to the story is dealt when the author tries too hard by giving the ending a twist.

Oh, how I detest the writing style, the horrible characters and the story.


Publisher: Washington Square Press; Reprint edition
Publication date: 1 Feb 2005

@}--->>--->>-----

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned… until now.

*Blurb from author's website*

Add to:


Links to purchase:



No comments:

Post a Comment