Saturday, October 10, 2015

Review: The Rosie Effect (Don Tillman #2) by Graeme Simsion


4 stars for The Rosie Effect (Don Tillman book 2) by Graeme Simsion.

It seems like yesterday - though a long time ago - when I read book 1 of the Don Tillman series. Even as I decide to indulge in The Rosie Effect, I find myself fighting a losing battle against recalling the story characters from book 1 The Rosie Project; with the exception of the two lead characters, Don and Rosie, I remember pretty much zilch. But once I get down to reading, I realise that my worry about the short-term memory loss is uncalled-for as my predicament is promptly fixed by the author who has the foresight to incorporate the reintroduction of the various characters subtly through Don’s internal workings of a methodical mind.

After the Wife Project in book 1 that results in Don's participation in The Rosie Project where he helps Rosie – a 30-year old psychology graduate and PhD candidate – with the search for her biology father, Don now decides to embark on another Project, one that he is keenly interested in what with a case study progressing in his very own apartment. As with most endeavors, the new Project is no easy feat for this associate professor of genetics at Columbia who has, for the past 40 years of his life, been accused of being one with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder and even Asperger's syndrome. Fortunately, with problem solving one of Don’s major strengths, he proceeds to tell his story - in deadpan humor - of how he comes about solving the unique problems in his own unique way.

I have an enjoyable time reading The Rosie Effect. Seeing the world through the eyes of Donald Tillman aka Don who as a scientist is hardwired to understand the science of reasoning, deduction and thought ahead of interpersonal dynamics amuses me to no end. There is so much dry humor inherent in Don’s thoughts and actions that I find myself laughing away every few paragraphs. Come to think about it, I cannot help but wonder at times if author Simsion – no offense meant – is someone whose inborn logical skills far excel his interpersonal skills and hence has the aptitude to write like one.

I always love a good story but the problem with reading a good book is that I want to finish reading the book but I do not want to finish the book. Yes, I know it sounds paradoxical but I sure all booklovers out there can relate and will agree with me. Experience has taught me well that it is highly probable that I will not be able to find another equally well written if not better story featuring a Don Tillman equivalent as the central character. So, it will be nice if a fairy comes along to sprinkle some fairy dust on my next statement.

I wish I can unread the Don Tillman series so that I can read it again for the first time.

Publisher: Penguin
Publication date: 25 Sep 2014

*** Favourite quote 1 ***

I was able to reassure my mother that Rosie and I were fine, work was also fine and any thanks for my uncle’s improved prognosis should be directed to medical science rather than a deity who had presumably allowed my uncle to develop cancer.

*** Favourite quote 2 ***

‘Gene is extremely dangerous and should be avoided socially.’

‘He didn’t seem dangerous to me. He seemed very nice.’ Inge was smiling.

‘That’s why he’s dangerous. If he seemed dangerous, he would be less dangerous.’

~ The Rosie Effect
Graeme Simsion

@}--->>--->>-----

With The Rosie Project, "Graeme Simsion achieved the impossible and created an entirely new kind of romantic hero," Jojo Moyes, author of Me Before You said. Now Don Tillman returns in the hilarious and charming sequel to the international sensation. Get ready to fall in love all over again.

Don sets about learning the protocols of becoming a father, but his unusual research style gets him into trouble with the law. Fortunately his best friend Gene is on hand to offer advice: he's left Claudia and moved in with Don and Rosie.

Picking up where The Rosie Project left off, The Rosie Effect is a fun, hilarious, and poignant read. "Don Tillman helps us believe in possibility, makes us proud to be human beings, and the bonus is this: he keeps us laughing like hell" (Matthew Quick, author of The Silver Linings Playbook).

*Blurb from FantasticFiction*

Add to:


Links to purchase:

icon icon


No comments:

Post a Comment