Monday, October 5, 2015

Review: For You (Burg #1) by Kristen Ashley


Did Not Finish For You (Burg book 1) by Kristen Ashley.

I thought it will be nice to read romantic suspense for a change after my previous bout of science fiction fantasy with the Retrieval Artist. Oh boy, how wrong I am! Then I realise that the switch in genre itself is fine, it is my choice of author/book which is not.

For You is one of those stories that alternates between first and third person narratives. It starts off fine in the first couple of pages with events seen through the eyes of female lead character, February Owens. Then there is continuous flow of conversation - among February, her brother Morrison Owens and an old family friend, Alec Colt - that involves a lot of cussing and swearing. Needless to say, everything goes downhill from then on.

The excessive use of expletives - which I feel the story can jolly well do without - irks me so much that less than halfway into the first chapter, I am already contemplating to dump the book for good. Then curiosity gets the better of me; a quick check shows that the story receives an average rating of 4 stars out of 5. And that is sufficient to give me pause and change my mind. Gritting my teeth, I persevere to read on for I do not for the life of me want to miss out on a good tale worthy of my time.

Unfortunately, not for lack of trying, For You is seriously not my cup of time. At 7% into the story, right before chapter 2 runs out, I decide that enough is enough.

This book is not for you if you are someone who is put off by not just profanities but overuse of it in a seemingly thin plot. If you are inquisitive and like to find out for yourself, my advice is - for sanity's sake as well as your money pocket - go borrow a copy from the library instead of purchasing one.

Publisher: Kristen Ashley
Publication date: 3 Dec 2014

@}--->>--->>-----

Lieutenant Alexander Colton and February Owens were high school sweethearts. Everyone in their small town knew from the moment they met they were meant for each other. But something happened and Feb broke Colt’s heart then she turned wild and tragedy struck. Colt meted out revenge against the man who brought Feb low but even though Colt risked it all for her, Feb turned her back on him and left town.

Fifteen years later, Feb comes back to help run the family bar. But there’s so much water under the bridge separating her and Colt everyone knows they’ll never get back together.

Until someone starts hacking up people in Feb’s life. Colt is still Colt and Feb is still Feb so the town watches as Colt goes all out to find the murderer while trying to keep Feb safe.

As the bodies pile up, The Feds move in and a twisting, turning story unravels exposing a very sick man who has claimed numerous victims along the way, Feb and Colt battle their enduring attraction and the beautiful but lost history that weaves them together.

*Blurb from author's website*

Add to:


Links to purchase:

icon icon


No comments:

Post a Comment