Thursday, January 15, 2015

Review: Tempt the Stars (Cassandra Palmer #6) by Karen Chance


Did Not Finish Tempt the Stars (Cassandra Palmer book 6) by Karen Chance.

It has been around 2.5 years since I read the last Cassandra Palmer story. I hate to say this but I admit to having experienced difficulty recalling the various characters in this book 6 such that reading the story becomes more of a struggle than leisure, at least for the first couple of chapters. And this is the result of (1) my procrastination in reading this book 6 as it has taken me two arduous tries to finish the previous book 5 Hunt the Moon, yet I did not enjoy it much as I have hoped to, and (2) my having a long and still growing list of to-be-read books with this one low on priority.

Besides the female protagonist, Cassie who also doubles as the narrator, I can only remember two other characters vividly, namely John Pritkin and Mircea Basarab, the rest are but a vague smudge of impressions. Nonetheless, it suffices to suit my purpose as reason this particular instalment is even written is because of Pritkin, my all-time favourite character throughout the series.

Unfortunately, having a favourite character or two in a series is not enough to hold my attention infinitely, there has to be good storyline with new developments held together by engaging narration. Whereas the idea of time travel which involves mystical characters such as the vampires, mages and demons is excellent, the concept gets old after a few books, and without fresh world building, it gets stale and becomes a bore reading. To make matters worse, the story of liberating Pritkin seems to have misplaced its focus amidst Cassie’s confusing time travel. I get so lost somewhere along her shifting to the past and back to the present that I decide to throw in the towel at 40% of the book.

It has been a pleasure travelling alongside Cassandra Palmer in her endearing time travel quests since 2009 year-end when I chance upon this series in the library and read the first four books available in print in non-stop succession. As with other series which I have faithfully followed but to let go of along the way due to one reason or another, it is with much regret to proclaim that I have chose to draw the curtain on the story of Cassandra, Pritkin and Mircea.

Publisher: Signet
Publication date: 1 Oct 2013

@}--->>--->>-----

Being a goddess is a lot less fun than you might think. Especially when you’re only a half goddess, and you only found out about it recently, and you still don’t know what you’re doing half the time. And when you’ve just used your not-so-reliable powers to burglarize the booby-trapped office of a vampire mob boss.

Yeah, that part sucks.

But that’s just the tip of the iceberg for Cassandra Palmer, aka the Pythia, the freshly minted chief seer of the supernatural world. After all, Cassie still has to save a friend from a fate worse than death, deal with an increasingly possessive master vampire, and prevent a party of her own acolytes from unleashing a storm of fury upon the world. Totally just your average day at the office, right?

*Blurb from author's website*

Add to:


Links to purchase:

icon icon


No comments:

Post a Comment