Saturday, February 8, 2014

Review: Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) by Patricia Briggs


3.5 stars for Moon Called (Mercy Thompson book 1) by Patricia Briggs.

My first attempt to read Moon Called in 2006 has seen me chucking the paperback aside before the first chapter comes to an end. I pick up the same title 4 years later in hope of finishing what I have foresaken. The result is better but not by much as I am not able to progress beyond the last page of chapter four.

To me, failure to take off on book 1 of a series does not warrant ditching the entire series totally, especially one of urban fantasy which encompasses shapeshifters and vampires. The thought of skipping this book 1 and dive straight to book 2 Blood Bound did cross my mind as is my typical quirk when faced with reading block. However, due to unavailability of book 2 and reluctance to jump 2 novels in the series to book 3, Moon Called eventually ended up taking residence in my keep-in-review to-be-read list for the next couple of years until my decision to revisit the story in this year 2014.

At long last, my third shot aimed at Moon Called yields positive results and I am proud to declare that I have successfully overcome the accursed initial four chapters and slowly maneuver myself right to the end of the book; all the while enjoying role playing as Mercedes Thompson aka Mercy and going about her journey on thrilling adventure rides with a strong-headed alpha werewolf and a less than forthcoming vampire.

A book.. 8 years in the making to arrive at the finishing line, my ultimate victory.

Publisher: Ace
Publication date: 31 Jan 2006

@}--->>--->>-----

Moon Called is the beginning of the story of Mercedes Thompson a coyote shapeshifter who is also a pretty decent mechanic. Mercy's world looks a lot like ours except that the Otherworld is begining to be forced out of hiding by our modern technologies. Mercy shares her back fence with the local Alpha werewolf and works evenings on the vampire Stefan's VW bus. She's safe and content -- which doesn't make a very story, does it? So, of course, matters begin to change on the first page. In this book Mercy faces trolls and gremlins, old boyfriends and older vampires.

*Blurb from author's website*

Links to purchase:



No comments:

Post a Comment