Saturday, November 20, 2010

6 Nov 2010: Day 2 - Italy (Rome/Vatican City/Colosseum/Fountain De Trevi)

We stay in Hotel Cardinal St Peters the night before. The hotel breakfast is not too bad though surprisingly, their hot chocolate and cappuccino taste fantastic. It is also extra hot, the way I like it to be.

Our tour starts off in early morning with viewing of the St. Peter's cathedral in the Vatican City, the administrative and spiritual capital of Roman Catholicism. We see the famous 'Pieta' by Michelangelo and works of art by many other Italian artists.

Never in my life would I have imagined that one day I would be standing right in the middle of Vatican City and staring at this infamous cathedral. I chance upon Dan Brown's book "Angels and Demons" in 2003 while book browsing in Library@Orchard during lunch time. Back then Dan Brown is a nobody author, yet somehow, "Angels and Demons" catches my attention. I borrow the book and finish reading it in 2 days' time. From that day onwards, visiting Vatican City become one of my dreams.

Standing in Vatican City, the world's smallest country, I tell myself it would be a totally different feeling if I am to ever read Angels and Demons again. Because everything is now real, not just something made out of nothing, out of imagination from reading a book.

Next is our visit to Colosseum, one of the most magnificent monuments of ancient Roma. Built in 71AD, it once seats 50,000 spectators and is the chief circus of the Roman Empire where gladiatorial battles and other cruel glories are held.

Unfortunately, our tour package did not come with allowing us the time to enter the Colosseum. This, is one of my greatest regret. I love Rome, love ancient Greek history and methodolgy. I certainly would not mind bearing the extra cost for entering the Colosseum and spending the day soaked up in this ancient building of art work. But alas, time runs tight on a tour group. I hope to be back here again some day.

Our last stop for the day is the Fountain de Trevi. We are told that by throwing a coin into the fountain, that person will be back to visit again; by throwing two coins, that person will be together with whoever person he/she is with forever; by throwing three coins, that person will split up with whoever person he/she is with now. Just for the thrill of it, I toss in a coin.

Our hotel for the night is Art Hotel Miro. After dinner, our tour guide, Eddie brings us to Carrefour. As the shops close early, we are only left with 30 minutes shop time after having spent 20 minutes walking in the frosty streets from our hotel to Carrefour. I buy a pair of boots (Eur 25) as I realise the hard way, that I am not well geared in terms of footwear with my only pair of Malindi crocs. I found out later on, that this is money well spent because my feet are spared the dampness and wetness from the rainy days ahead.



No comments:

Post a Comment