Thursday, July 8, 2010

Life's Journey

Just one week ago, I receive news of the passing of a senior who used to stay in the same hostel as myself during my early schooling days. News has it bad that he has been fighting a battle with leukamia, one in which he obviously lose to, and is forced to leave for the rainbow land, leaving behind his wife and a one year old son. A quick calculation tells me that he is at most 37 years of age, still so young. Even though I do not know him very well, just a hi-bye friend, I am greatly saddened by this piece of tragic report because he is someone real and I do know him.

Another piece of sad news. I chat with a long lost hostel friend the night before and mention to him in passing the departure of this common friend. He tells me that he understands because early this year he has lost someone very dear to him. "Who?" I ask him. "My wife," he replies. OMG.. I am at a loss for words. He told me it was a sudden death, no one in the family unexpect it at all. Cause of death is massive stroke to brain. And the doctors could not provide a good enough reason for the whys as his wife has always been in the pink of health. My friend remembers with clarity the events leading to the wife's collapse on that fateful day; they had dinner as usual, afterwhich his wife complained of a really bad headache. He sends her to the hospital A&E...unfortunately, one way trip in which his beloved 34 year old wife never return from. I am terribly affected by his sharing. I read his blog, all the entries he dedicates to his wife. I feel his loss, so fresh; feel his pain, so raw; feel his sufferings, so excruciatingly agonizing. So sad so terribly sad.

Life. We all behave as if we will live indefinitely, but in reality, we are walking towards death with each passing day, from the moment we are born. The only difference between those who are diagnosed with cancer versus those who are healthy is that these people have a known number tagged to their remaining lifespan; as for the rest of us, it is just an unknown number.

The demise of my friend's wife is yet another gentle reminder for us, to treasure and to cherish what we have at present. Our loved ones...



No comments:

Post a Comment