Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Review: Before I Knew I Loved You (Before the Coffee Gets Cold #6) by Toshikazu Kawaguchi


5 stars for Before I Knew I Loved You (Before the Coffee Gets Cold book 6) by Toshikazu Kawaguchi.

Times flies. Before I knew it, book 6 of Before the Coffee Gets Cold series is out. Other than Kate Daniels series, this is the only other series I follow closely enough to have an entire set that grace my bookshelf. I remember after reading book 5 Before We Forget Kindness, I wasn't sure if I will still continue with this series. In the end, when I saw the book newly available for sale in Tsutaya Bookstore, I cannot help myself but add it to my purchase cart.

Once again, the author presents readers with four stories in his book - four heartwarming miracles that occurred in the mysterious cafe where a person can sit on a particular chair and time travel to the past or future of their choosing.

Even though I am all too familiar with cafe Funiculi Funicula and its strange rules for time-travelling, there is still much pleasure to be had from reading the comings and goings that surround this mysterious Tokyo cafe that nestles in the basement alleyway in Jimbocho. Reading this novel makes me feel as if I am revisiting a dear old friend in an endearing cafe that both of us know so very well. It certainly is comforting and nostalgic at the same time.

Among all six books to date, this is the only one that makes me cry in almost all four stories. It is no wonder the book is titled as such and so aptly chosen.

If you could return to the past, who would you want to meet?


Publisher: Hanover Square Press
Publication date: 26 May 2026

*** Favourite Quote 1 ***

When upset feelings lead to conflict, misread emotions are often too blame.. Because emotions are invisible, interpreting others' feelings based on their words and gestures is challenging. We tend to imagine what we can't see. Moreover, the way we perceive the emotions of others is heavily influenced by the state of our own minds.

*** Favourite Quote 2 ***

There are moments in life that change everything, turning points that alter one's path. Yet it's rare to recognize them when they happen. More often than not, it's only in hindsight that a seemingly ordinary day reveals itself as pivotal.

~ Before I Knew I Loved You
Toshikazu Kawaguchi

@}--->>--->>-----

The sixth book in the multi-million-copy bestselling series about a cozy Japanese cafe that offers its visitors the chance to travel back in time.

In a special seat in a fabled Tokyo cafe, you're offered something irresistible – not just a warm, comforting coffee, but the chance to go back in time to revisit the ones you love...

In Before I Knew I Loved You, Toshikazu Kawaguchi takes us back to the warm heart of the mysterious Funiculi Funicula Cafe, with another four guests whose luminous stories of love, lost and won again, will reaffirm your belief in its eternal potential. In this book, we meet:

• The girl who couldn’t call her mother, and yearns to reconnect with her
• The man who waited for a reply from his girlfriend, and never heard from her
• The woman anxious to travel ahead to know what her future holds
• The student who travels back to meet his father again, who passed away many years before.

Yet the same rules always apply – you must return before the coffee gets cold. And while it does, memories are revisited, people are changed for ever, and the enduring power of love transcends the boundaries of time.

The sixth book in the phenomenal, bestselling series, translated from Japanese, Before I Knew I Loved You asks the irresistible question: what would you do if you were offered the chance to go back in time?

*Blurb from Goodreads*

Add to:


Links to purchase:



No comments:

Post a Comment