Sunday, December 31, 2023

2023 Year in Review and 2024 New Year's Resolution


Another year has come and gone.

I read and reviewed a total of 17 books this year. Just when I thought I have reached an all-time low last year with 31 books, I break my own record this year by doubling it south. It certainly is not impressive, but that's pretty much my average these days.

Year 2023 @ 17 (-14 YOY)
Year 2022 @ 31 (-14 YOY)
Year 2021 @ 45 (-5 YOY)
Year 2020 @ 50 (+4 YOY)
Year 2019 @ 46 (-16 YOY)
Year 2018 @ 62 (+10 YOY)
Year 2017 @ 52 (■ YOY)
Year 2016 @ 52 (-22 YOY)
Year 2015 @ 74 (-23 YOY)
Year 2014 @ 97



2023 is a year of change, and one of ups and downs, which ultimately translates to lesser books read. The first sign of change appears in April when for the first time in my life, I procrastinate so much that I suddenly find myself laden with four books awaiting my review writing. Then came my first brief hiatus in May where no reading was made. With no review post in sight, May becomes non-existent and a silent month. This silence was broken in June by a single book review post. Sadly, that was not sustainable and the pause made a comeback in July. I am glad that my reading recovered sufficiently in August to allow me to post two reviews. Then in September, I hit another roadblock again, one that took me so long to recover that it stretched over to October. So, there you have it, four months out of twelve where I am not seen holding and reading a book, any book in fact.

Life is full of ups and downs, oft unexpected ones. I think the below quotes pretty much summarize what I have gone through this past year.

***

"In life, the only two things we can control are our effort and our attitude. Everything else is not up to us."

"We don't meet people by accident. Everyone is meant to cross our path for a reason."

"Everyone comes into your life for a reason. Either to be yours forever, or to leave you with a reason that lasts with you forever. Everyone you know teaches you some important lessons. Every friend you have makes you realize the importance of living with someone. Every day, you learn to live without your favourite person. You see, everyone and everything is temporary. We just find moments in between that feel like forever."

"Sometimes your mind needs more time to accept what your heart already knows."

"Remember some things have to end for better things to begin."

"Sometimes courage means holding on. Sometimes courage means letting go."

"Accept what you can't change. Change what you can't accept."

"Life is like a camera. Just focus on what's important. Capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out... just take another shot."

"When some things go wrong, take a moment and be thankful for the many things that are going right."

"Every day I am thankful for nights that turned into mornings, friends that turned into family, dreams that turned into reality, and likes that turned into love."

"Accept what is, let go of what was, and have faith in what will be."

***

For "Did Not Finish" reviews, I am happy to say that I manage to cap them at two this year. But if you think about it, two out of 16 books read is 13% - not such a fantastic statistics after all. But still, I shall endeavour to continue with minimizing such write-ups in the upcoming year.

In any case, what's done is done. The past - books that have been completely or partially read - is what it is. There is no changing it. I may not have managed to read all the books on my reading list nor reviewed all the books I have chosen to read. But in my immediate past, I know pretty much why I choose to read a certain book or genre, and what I will have done, or not done differently. Ultimately, what matters most, I feel, is to enjoy the reading process, engage myself in the story and be transported out of my world into another. With the addition of once-in-a-while drama watching on top of reading and crocheting, I guess there will always be the internal battle of whether to read or to crochet or to drama binge-watch. As an avid reader, I will always want to read. But now, I also hope to find the time to crochet as well as some pockets of time to relax in a good drama.

As a matter of course, my 2024 New Year's resolution is to read books, enjoy the stories, write short reviews, and to crochet to my heart's content when I am not reading or drama chasing.

Finally, to all booklovers out there, may the Year 2023 bring along good books, better reads and best of all, discoveries of all things bookish.

Happy New Year
&
Happy Reading



No comments:

Post a Comment