Saturday, December 31, 2022

2022 Year in Review and 2023 New Year's Resolution


Another year has come and gone.

I read and reviewed a total of 31 books this year. Not very impressive, but that's pretty much my average these days.

Year 2022 @ 31 (-14 YOY)
Year 2021 @ 45 (-5 YOY)
Year 2020 @ 50 (+4 YOY)
Year 2019 @ 46 (-16 YOY)
Year 2018 @ 62 (+10 YOY)
Year 2017 @ 52 (■ YOY)
Year 2016 @ 52 (-22 YOY)
Year 2015 @ 74 (-23 YOY)
Year 2014 @ 97



2022 is a year of Game of Thrones. I finally screw up my courage to re-read the first book in this long-running series and start the ball rolling. That was in March. After that, the rest is a breeze as I let myself be carried along book after book. I ended up spending the better half of the year, from March to July, reading all five books in A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. In truth, it never feels like a daunting task reading the books in this fantasy series. The only daunting task I face, is having to wait for the next book to be published.

There is always a first. And.. its seems like there are many firsts for me these days. For the first time since I started this book review blog, the number of books reviewed is at an all-time low. This year, the number 31 broke my earlier record low of 45 books. Well, I attribute it to... what else? But Game of Thrones! For all you know, the throne books are really really thick.

For "Did Not Finish" reviews, I am happy to say that I manage to cap them at three again this year. I shall endeavour to continue with minimizing such write-ups in the upcoming year.

In any case, what's done is done. The past - books that have been completely or partially read - is what it is. There is no changing it. I may not have managed to read all the books on my reading list nor reviewed all the books I have chosen to read. But in my immediate past, I know pretty much why I choose to read a certain book or genre, and what I will have done, or not done differently. Ultimately, what matters most, I feel, is to enjoy the reading process, engage myself in the story and be transported out of my world into another. With the addition of a new crochet hobby, I guess there will always be the internal battle of whether to read or to crochet. As an avid reader, I will always want to read. But now, I also hope to find the time to crochet. After all, I still have big skeins of gradient yarn cakes and many other smaller ones, all waiting for me and my handiwork.

As a matter of course, my 2023 New Year's resolution is to read books, enjoy the stories, write short reviews, and to crochet to my heart's content when I am not reading.

Finally, to all booklovers out there, may the Year 2023 bring along good books, better reads and best of all, discoveries of all things bookish.

Happy New Year
&
Happy Reading



No comments:

Post a Comment