Friday, December 31, 2021

2021 Year in Review and 2022 New Year's Resolution


Another year has come and gone.

At the last count, I have reviewed a total of 45 books for the year to date. This works out to be an average of 3.75 books per month which further translates to 0.94 book per week.

Year 2021 @ 45 (-5 YOY)
Year 2020 @ 50 (+4 YOY)
Year 2019 @ 46 (-16 YOY)
Year 2018 @ 62 (+10 YOY)
Year 2017 @ 52 (■ YOY)
Year 2016 @ 52 (-22 YOY)
Year 2015 @ 74 (-23 YOY)
Year 2014 @ 97



2021 is another year of non-fiction; almost half of what I have read is non fiction. For the first time since I started this book review blog, the number of books reviewed is at an all-time low. That is fine with me as it is due to my newfound hobby which I shared in my last post of Year 2020.

For the first half of this year, my personal time is spent on both reading and crocheting. Then from July onwards, due to another life-changing moment, I switched back to reading only. But deep down in my heart, I still long to crochet. Come December, I finally found the strength to put aside my reading and pick up my Tulip crochet hook once again. I have been wanting to crochet the nativity set since last year end but was not in time to do it then. I am glad to complete it this year and in time to present it as a Christmas-New-Year gift. One thing led to another. I guess this is what we call momentum, in this case, the crocheting momentum. For the first time since I started crocheting, I bought a crochet pattern on this miniature itty bitty baby. It is really small and cute. For a start, I crochet using a bigger thread size and hook size. Here is my completed work. Once I managed to get the hang of it, I moved on to a smaller thread size and hook size. Sad to say, it did not work out well and I decide to drop the mini project as I cannot bear to see a badly made mini doll, and my fingers hurt too much to try all over again any time soon.

For "Did Not Finish" reviews, I am happy to say that I manage to cap them at three again this year. I shall endeavour to continue with minimizing such write-ups in the upcoming year.

In any case, what's done is done. The past - books that have been completely or partially read - is what it is. There is no changing it. I may not have managed to read all the books on my reading list nor reviewed all the books I have chosen to read. But in my immediate past, I know pretty much why I choose to read a certain book or genre, and what I will have done, or not done differently. Ultimately, what matters most, I feel, is to enjoy the reading process, engage myself in the story and be transported out of my world into another. With this new crochet hobby of mine, I guess there will always be the internal battle of whether to read or to crochet. As an avid reader, I will always want to read. But now, I also hope to find the time to crochet. After all, I still have big skeins of gradient yarn cakes and many other smaller ones, all waiting for me and my handiwork.

As a matter of course, my 2022 New Year's resolution is to read books, enjoy the stories, write short reviews, and to crochet to my heart's content when I am not reading.

Finally, to all booklovers out there, may the Year 2022 bring along good books, better reads and best of all, discoveries of all things bookish.

Happy New Year
&
Happy Reading



No comments:

Post a Comment