Saturday, September 22, 2018

Review: The First Lie (Necessary Lies #0.5) by Diane Chamberlain


4 stars for The First Lie (Necessary Lies book 0.5) by Diane Chamberlain.

A book buddy friend read this book, Necessary Lies and promptly recommended it to me. I check it out and realise that it actually comes with a prequel, The First Lie. Though it is not clear, at least to me, the order in which the books are written, I go with my gut feel - though I can be wrong - that book 0.5 The First Lie is written only after book 1 Necessary Lies.

In the sequence of things, I should have started off with Necessary Lies. But I don't. Because.. well... I am curious as to what that first lie is. That and that the prequel is a relatively short story. And I am not sure if I am ready to move on to the next book after finishing my favourite Kate Daniels series.

So, that is how I end up reading this book in the dead of the night at my dining table and scaring myself silly over an Ouija board in the story. Haha

I gobble up this short story in two days' time. Yes, it is that enthralling; once I start reading, I cannot put it down. But the thing is, at the end of it all, I am not sure if I know what that first lie is. I may have some ideas, or should I say, plenty of guesses, but then, I don't know. Not really.

Now, I will read Necessary Lies to find out. More of these later.


Publisher: Pan
Publication date: 4 Jun 2013

@}--->>--->>-----

In this short story prequel to Necessary Lies, The First Lie gives readers an early glimpse into the life of thirteen-year-old Ivy Hart.

It’s 1958 in rural North Carolina, where Ivy lives with her grandmother and sister on a tobacco farm. As tenant farmers, Ivy and her family don’t have much freedom, though she and her best friend, Henry, often sneak away in search of adventure…and their truest selves. But life on the farm takes a turn when Ivy’s teenage sister gives birth—all the while maintaining her silence about the baby’s father.

Soon Ivy finds herself navigating the space between adolescence and adulthood as she tries to unravel a dark web of family secrets and make sense of her ever-evolving life in the segregated South.

*Blurb from author's website*

Add to:


Links to purchase:



No comments:

Post a Comment