Saturday, April 21, 2018

Review: Into the Water by Paula Hawkins


1 star for Into the Water by Paula Hawkins.

I thought I am in for a treat when I finally decide to read this book. Only that instead of a treat, it is a trick. Yes, I feel cheated of my time, reading a story about a messed up town, with a messed up history, with a messed up river, and an equally messed up group of people.

If not for my admiration of the author's debut novel, The Girl on the Train, I will have long given up reading this novel. I feel that the author tries too hard on this one, the way the story is written, the fragmented chapters, the many characters, the mixed up perspectives, they are supposed to generate curiosity but sadly, they only serve to annoy and put me off.

Well, this story may not be my cup of tea, but if you are up for a challenge in the drowning pool, in memory of those who have fallen or jumped, by all means go ahead to read - but be forewarned to fall - Into the Water.

***

Two women who know each other, who are once connected, by place and by people, are found dead in the Beckford river within a few months of the other.


Publisher: Doubleday Canada
Publication date: 2 May 2017

@}--->>--->>-----

A single mother turns up dead at the bottom of the river that runs through town. Earlier in the summer, a vulnerable teenage girl met the same fate. They are not the first women lost to these dark waters, but their deaths disturb the river and its history, dredging up secrets long submerged.

Left behind is a lonely fifteen-year-old girl. Parentless and friendless, she now finds herself in the care of her mother’s sister, a fearful stranger who has been dragged back to the place she deliberately ran from—a place to which she vowed she’d never return.

*Blurb from author's website*

Add to:


Links to purchase:



No comments:

Post a Comment