Saturday, December 5, 2015

Review: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon


5 stars for The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is a novel where the author ingeniously brings readers on a ride to see the world through the eyes of Christopher John Francis Boone, a 15-year old Mathematical genius who knows all the countries in the world and their capital cities and every prime number up to 7,057.

As is my preferred practice of knowing zilch about the story I am about to indulge myself in, I purposefully avoid reading the book blurb or anything related and plunge headlong into this book with no inkling of what the story is about. At first, I thought this is a straightforward story about an event concerning a dog on a particular night, one that involves the protagonist playing detective and doing some detective work on his own to find the dog's killer. But as I read on, I realise I cannot be more wrong.

This is no simple mystery solving novel; it is much more. So much more. More absence than presence. More questions than answers. More sadness than happiness. And above all, more heartache than anything. I feel as if my heart is being squeezed tight as I ache for the leading character. Then as I move deeper into the story, I realise the author is a pro in manipulating the emotions of readers because not only does my heart feel squashed, I feel it being ripped asunder as I switch camp and sympathise first with the boy, then the dad, then the mum, then the dad, then.. You get my drift?

It all starts with a dog; a poodle called Wellington that belongs to Mrs Shears. It is found lying on the grass in the middle of the lawn in front of the aforementioned owner's house. As Christopher goes about solving the mystery death of this canine, we gets glimpses into the workings of his carefully worked-out mind and insights to how and why he behaves the way he does.

Who tops the Expert Version of Minesweeper at 99 seconds? Who plays Scrabble and beats the opponent 247 points to 134? Christopher Boone! He is very good at chess, maths and logic and his observant eyes take in every single detail. Sadly, Christopher Boone is a teenage boy who lives mostly in his own world; he has Asperger's syndrome, a form of autism which is a lifelong disability that affects how a person makes sense of the world, processes information and relates to other people. And because Asperger's syndrome is mostly a 'hidden disability' where people cannot tell from Christopher’s outward appearance that he has this condition - difficulties in social communication, interaction and imagination - he is often misunderstood by others.

This book which has won - no surprises there - seventeen literary prizes, including the Whitbread Award for Best Novel 2003, is a story so intricately heartbreaking and thought-provoking that many a time I find myself pausing to think things through and blinking my eyes in a feeble attempt to stop tears from rolling down my cheeks before I continue with more. Then, there is this shocking revelation of the truth where the crux of the story lies. It comes when I least expect it. Oh my!

Upon finishing the novel, I surprise myself by heading out to the nearest bookstore and grabbing this paperback off the shelf. Yea, I enjoy and appreciate the story so completely that I want to be the owner of not only the digital version but the dead tree version as well.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon is one of 15 titles voted for by reading groups in UK as being books that will still be read in 100 years’ time. I am now one happy owner of said book; the limited edition Vintage Future Classics published to celebrate Vintage’s 15th birthday.

Publisher: Vintage; 1st edition
Publication date: 18 May 2004

@}--->>--->>-----

'The dog was lying on the grass in the middle of the lawn in front of Mrs Shears' house. It looked as if it was running on its side, the way dogs run when they think they are chasing a cat in a dream. But the dog was not running or asleep. The dog was dead. There was a garden fork sticking out of the dog.'

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is a murder mystery novel like no other. The detective, and narrator, is Christopher Boone. Christopher is fifteen and has Asperger's, a form of autism. He knows a very great deal about maths and very little about human beings. He loves lists, patterns and the truth. He hates the colours yellow and brown and being touched. He has never gone further than the end of the road on his own, but when he finds a neighbour's dog murdered he sets out on a terrifying journey which will turn his whole world upside down.

Christopher is a brilliant creation, and Mark Haddon's depiction of his world is deeply moving, very funny and utterly convincing. The novel is being published simultaneously for adults by Jonathan Cape and for children by David Fickling, publisher of Philip Pullman. We are convinced that both audiences will recognise it as one of those very rare books that change the way you see everything.

*Blurb from FantasticFiction*

Add to:


Links to purchase:

icon icon


No comments:

Post a Comment