Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Review: Night Child (OSI #1) by Jes Battis


Did Not Finish Night Child (OSI book 1) by Jes Battis.

I have always have this weird vibe telling me to steer clear of male authors who write with a female protagonist in mind especially if the story is written from first person narration, which ironically is my favorite point of view. Well, the fact that I am even posting this book review goes to show that I have chosen to ignore this gut reaction of mine. Sadly, try as I may, I am unable to convince myself to finish what I have started. At slightly less than the halfway mark, I give up reading and come to the conclusion that goes with the saying "Men are from Mars, women from Venus". Period.

Yes, central to this urban fantasy novel is our heroine, a 24-year old Tessa Isobel Corday aka Tess who works for an occult government agency, otherwise known as Central Occult Regulation Enterprise, or CORE in short. Tess is a level one Occult Special Investigator (OSI) who has been put as the person in-charge of cracking a mysterious case involving a dead vampire.

While the storyline is ok, the narration is too fragmented to my liking for an enjoyable read. Also, the characters do not leave impression deep enough for me to remember that once I stop for a break, I have to flip back to re-read parts to refresh myself from where I leave off or risk stepping into the unchartered territory of neverland. As it goes without saying, this feeling gets old after awhile and turns annoying instead.

I am not sure if I should or will give this series a second chance by reading book 2. But I know without a doubt that this episode of DNF will not stop me from trying out another male author masquerading as a female lead character in yet another first person narrative account.

Publisher: Ace; 1st edition
Publication date: 27 May 2008

@}--->>--->>-----

Tess Corday, Occult Special Investigator for Vancouver's Mystical Crime Lab, is used to seeing dead vampires. But there's nothing ordinary about this case. Not the lab results on the cause of death. Not the teenage girl living at the address found in the vamp's pocket, who may well be in thrall to a demon. And certainly not Lucian Agrado, the necromancer who is liaison to the vampire community. Agrado is supposed to be part of the solution, but Tess suspects he might be part of the problem.

Soon she finds herself in the middle of a paranormal conspiracy that will change her life forever... and possibly end it.

*Blurb from Goodreads*

Add to:


Links to purchase:

icon icon


No comments:

Post a Comment