Saturday, November 8, 2014

Review: Payoff (Mindspace Investigations #1.5) by Alex Hughes


5 stars for Payoff (Mindspace Investigations book 1.5) by Alex Hughes.

Payoff is a novella aptly titled to suit the story and lead character vis-à-vis his payment due in kind to someone who holds tremendous power and voice in the eyes of law.

Our hero, a Level Eight telepath, is facing off one of his worst nightmares. Life without telepathy is unthinkable -- alone, empty and under tremendous pressure -- the absence of mind reading is changing the whole ball game of how our male lead goes about solving and interacting with the people implicated in cases under his charge.

Well penned and smooth flowing, the author delivers an unexpected punch to this 74-page short novel with an atypical ending which reminds me of the culmination we sometimes see in some movie productions.

Mindspace Investigations is seriously a remarkably well written series such that the books can be read in any order. But still, I will recommend to read in this order: book 1 Clean, book 0.5 Rabbit Trick, book 1.5 Payoff, book 2 Sharp.

Publisher: Roc
Publication date: 5 Mar 2013

@}--->>--->>-----

Being a telepath, I should have seen the hell I was getting myself into…

I used to be one of the most powerful telepaths in the guild. That was before my drug addiction and before they kicked me out. But I’m not a bad guy. Now I help the Atlanta PD solve murders. And even though there are only a few people I call friends, I’d do most anything to keep their trust.

So when a judge asks me to help investigate a missing college kid, I’m down for it. No questions asked. No problem. But in this dark world, things are never easy and a favor is never just a favor. Turns out, politicians don’t like being murder suspects. And it’s bad to anger someone with more power than you. I thought I had nothing to lose… I was wrong.

*Blurb from author's website*

Add to:


Links to purchase:

icon


No comments:

Post a Comment