Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Review: Sharp (Mindspace Investigations #2) by Alex Hughes


5 stars for Sharp (Mindspace Investigations book 2) by Alex Hughes.

Sharp pretty much continues from where book 1 Clean leaves off. The story opens with our hero drawing a blank on his attempts to read telepathically, a major side effect of burning out his mind from the last homicide case. It is with much trepidation as I read on on how our hero struggles to come to terms with his loss, and his efforts to recover his telepathy, an Ability that makes him what he is. Then, my fear and anxiety for our hero increase by tenfold when he is told to produce a paper qualification for his talent, without which his job, his only means of livelihood, will be on the line, because how is he going to get his certification when he is teetering on the borderline of Mindspace.

Sometimes doing the right thing may not be the right thing to do, as is the case for our protagonist. Due to his assistance to Cherabino for the last murder case in book 1 Clean, he has attracted unwanted attention to himself in book 2 Sharp. Our lead man has clearly done the right thing and made something of himself, yet he cannot be made an example of thanks to his past wrongdoings. And for the reason that he is a Level Eight telepath, the people who assume he will quietly fade into the background are suddenly very aware of the kind of strength he is displaying and extremely uncomfortable with it. For these, I feel so awfully sorry for our hero, that things are not going his way, that no matter what he has done, are all for naught, and life keeps throwing it back at him. It is no longer about being himself any more than it is about survival, it is about chance and luck, both of which he needs aplenty.

To add salt to wounds, the ghosts of Adam’s past come back to haunt him, not for the first time but the severity hit its peak as the story progresses. As is very Adam, he procrastinates the idea of approaching the very people whom he has done wrong in his early days, to apologise and to make amends. I can almost taste our hero’s pain and feel his sense of loss, and understand where he is coming from because it takes more than an apology to right a wrong, and no amount of right doing can truly smooth his guilt. Then again, because of Adam’s procrastination in seeking restitution, it results in a far more serious outcome, one which I am not sure Adam can ever live it up.

All through Sharp, the story is wholly narrated by Adam, and in my opinion, a humble, down-to-earth, straightforward narration. So, it is pretty interesting to see how other cops perceive Adam as a rude person who sulks most of the time. In truth, I would very much like to see Adam from Cherabino’s point of view. And I wonder when the two of them will upgrade to first name basis, that is, if it ever materialises.

Once again, I applaud the author’s ingenious way of presenting our hero. For a second time, it is done so subtly that I only realise upon flipping to the last page and reading it. Yes, Alex Hughes’ creative way of introducing Adam slowly but surely, certainly leaves a lasting impression on me. One that hints of yet more on Adam’s past to be uncovered in later instalments.

Overall, the author does an exceptionally thorough job of sending my emotions high on a rollercoaster ride. It is indeed very challenging and at times, even depressing to be in the shoes of our narrator owing to issues beyond his control, but strangely, it basically only makes me look forward to more.

Publisher: Roc
Publication date: 2 Apr 2013

*** Favourite quote 1 ***

The dream wasn’t a dream; it smelled of truth before it began, truth of what could be, or would be, a vision of the future from the stupid stubborn precognition.

*** Favourite quote 2 ***

I am a telepath.
The Guild has jurisdiction over me, over some things, and neither you nor me nor anybody else can change that without an act of Congress.

*** Favourite quote 3 ***

Yeah, I can read minds, but so what?
I’ve read your mind and you’re still you and your secrets are still secret.
I don’t know what’s going on, but whatever it is doesn’t change crap.

~ Sharp
Alex Hughes

@}--->>--->>-----

HISTORY HAS A WAY OF REPEATING ITSELF, EVEN FOR TELEPATHS.…

As a Level Eight telepath, I am the best police interrogator in the department. But I’m not a cop—I never will be—and my only friend on the force, Homicide Detective Isabella Cherabino, is avoiding me because of a telepathic link I created by accident.

And I might not even be an interrogator for much longer. Our boss says unless I pull out a miracle, I’ll be gone before Christmas. I need this job, damn it. It’s the only thing keeping me sane.

Parts for illegal Tech—the same parts used to bring the world to its knees in the Tech Wars sixty years ago—are being hijacked all over the city. Plus Cherbino’s longtime nemesis, a cop killer, has resurfaced with a vengeance. If I can stay alive long enough, I just might be able to prove my worth, once and for all…

*Blurb from author's website*

Add to:


Links to purchase:

icon icon


No comments:

Post a Comment